Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A day in my life...

I joined a new gym today.  Its called The House.  Its not one of those New Year's Resolutions...it had more to do with the fact that my insurance company approved the monthly membership to be reimbursed through our benefits program.  We were out of moola in our benefits for 2009, so I'm starting it up in 2010.  (I have to wonder if this will still be an option in a few years when the Gov't takes over healthcare.  I'm taking yoga, its preventative, so I'll go out on a limb and say 'no', it won't be covered.)

Anywho, I took a svaroopa yoga class.  For those of you not up on your yoga terminology, its a relaxive (is that even a word?) gentle form of yoga designed to open up your spine and the muscles around it.  (Did you hear my voice get soft, gentle and slow when I said that?)  That's why I need yoga...apparently I have scoliosis according to my Dr.  Must be adult-on set.
"Quit that aerobics class and get into yoga.  You need to strengthen your back," she scolded me last time I was there. 

All I know is my great grandmother was nearly bent in half, bless her heart and I don't want to end up that way.  So I'm taking yoga. 

It was pretty relaxing, I have to admit.  You need five heavy blankets.  Yes, five.  Very heavy wool blankets.  You fold and bolster them to put under your knees while lying on your back.  You also use them folded up in different yoga positions.  It was pretty interesting and the instructor was very nice, stopping to show me where to put the folded blankets.  The class was much busier than I thought it would be...I think I'll go back on Thursday.  It seems to work pretty well if I run at the park after I drop the kids, then head to the gym. 

Time to get back into a new routine for the new year.

No comments: